Thursday, October 2, 2008

Growing Excitement

So. Trailer is back at my house tonight, hooked up and ready to go (I think my neighbors know I'm weird). Moving it from an hour away at Sarah's barn, the left wheel locked as soon as I tapped the brake. So we had towed not using the trailer's brakes (4wire instead of 7).

We were also thinking of removing all the separating stuff and making it just an open stock trailer. Why? Because we have horses people have made horrible at loading. We can just convince them to become friends and then ride open and it would be much better than all this fear that they'll get caught up on all the falderall in there.

Mechanic looked at it, adjusted trailer brakes, then adjusted truck's brake controller, taught me now to adjust it, and removed the pole with his fancy saw. What did this cost? 40 dollars. Yeah. I love my mechanic. Tonight I will cover the areas where pole was so that trailer is good and safe for a stampy anxious horse. When they get very bored with trailering, then maybe we'll introduce some solid dividers, instead of the bars and chains that were there and that bring to mind vet bills.

Why is it important to get trailer ready to go?
BECAUSE WE HAVE A SHOW!

Okay don't get too flabbergasted. It's not THAT kind of show. Dante's winter barn is having a fun show. Egg and spoon race, ride a buck, western game, trail, etc. Not an official show. No points earned, and cheezy prizes maybe. It's also pot-luck. The people there are about as competitive as I am. Sarah and I are trailering in our horses (hers used to live there, too), stalling for the night, showing Saturday, then bringing Lahana back Sat. night and Dante back Sun. morning. And we're doing a frigid sleepover in the barn Friday night. We will probably have the most-groomed beasts there. Entry fee: 15 dollars.

Goals:
See if Dante remembers his old friends.
Safely transport our retard horses.
Try to convince said horses to be friends so further trailer mods are a nonissue.
See if Dante rides better back there- plan financially for any further training needed. I have a feeling he's an arena baby.
Have fun.

Even if he rides like a wildebeast and I have to borrow a horse, it'll be a useful experience.

Pictures forthcoming!!

No comments: