Friday, September 19, 2008

State Fair (like a month ago) part II

So, I did end up attending the State Fair. The first was to see show jumping and harness competition. The jumping was fantastic, the cart competition... kinda dull.

I then returned with my barn to exercise horses and spend the night. I figured I'd be thrilled to ride the smooth-as-butter mustang, but instead I find I've fallen for the appy pony. Now this would make a killer polo pony, I won't lie, but he's also a fantastic pleasure mount, and has a home for life so he doesn't need to be a polo pony. His name is Awesome and he's the herd boss of the whole 70 horse farm.

After I left our "barn brat" (not really bratty but I guess that's what the barn kids are called, age 17) who had brought her horse goaded a 14 year old (who's learning to trot) to ride her horse, who most able-bodied adults are leery of mounting in the home indoor arena. The horse then tore ass out of the coliseum, dumped the girl, and nearly stampeded into the crowd but the BO showed up and caught him because BB had called her on her cell to brag. The girl riding was the BO's granddaughter.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I LOVE the first week of the fair! I wanted to get down there so bad but I just couldn't make it work. The second week bores me since I'm not into western events anymore. Too many peanut pushers for me.

Were in MN are you? I'm up by Grand Rapids.

amarygma said...

I'm in a suburb just north of the twin cities. Remember the hurricanes in Hugo? Minutes from my barn!

yeah, I'll admit we were riding while there were western people there, and they lope like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbLK7MnftNA where it looks like it's tripping every beat.

As aisle of breed people though, we're just there to be nice to people.