Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hooven

Hello, One Red Horse!

Peeking at who's looking at me, I see you're into feet. Well we have four feet and pictures thereof, so I thought I'd share.

Dante was a normal pasture-trim horse. After getting him, I had my friend Kelly start trimming him. She's a little cheaper, and just super into feet and barefoot trimming etc. I told her to go nuts.

So here's some before and afters:
3/14/07 before special trims: underrun heels and flare


5/10/07



And 6/19/07



12/12/07


And 12/23/07


His feet are even better now, I just haven't been photographing them! I'll be sure to update that.... after my exam!

4 comments:

restoration42 said...

Hi amarygma,

Yay!!!! Another red horse with happy feet. Your friend's trim looks mighty fine - and your boy's frogs!! I have serious frog envy. That December shot is a glorious hoof. Red is not even close but I think he started with a lot more pathology. I'm pretty excited about getting to go to a Linda Cowle's trim clinic is a couple of weeks. I'm taking Red and look forward to learning how I can do a better job. Meanwhile, I'm lovin your blog. We lucky to have horses in our lives!
-Cherie

amarygma said...

I think what actually helped put the heels back, was that every time I was picking them, I'd be sure to really dig into the heel with the pick. Some sole would flake off with some of the heel from the toe-side (not a lot, just a little), but it would make sure that the heels then wore properly wearing. Maybe some people always do this, but anyways I think it was more worth picking than his frogs (which i picked anyways). It was like a 2x weekly mini-trim.

decorum said...

I don't know if this comment is welcome but you can seriously bring those heels back more and relieve the quarters a ton. I am a professional trimmer and I bring the quarters down to the sole plane and the heels back to 1/8 to 1/4 inch above live sole plane. If this makes his hoof angles too low then you can bring his toes back to the sole with a vertical cut. I doubt you need that though, he looks like he has pretty good feet he just needs them trimmed correctly. I am a Pete Ramey style trimmer, FYI.

amarygma said...

Comments are always welcome! I'll ask my trimmer and give it a thought.