Friday, June 27, 2008

Still behind- putting down a horse

I am a graduate student at a vet school (not and not becoming a vet, just like the science). I've had numerous pets growing up. Euthanasia happens. I paid 250 dollars to euthanize a cockatiel after her 40 dollar a month treatments were no longer providing the quality of life she enjoyed. I do not cheap out on vet bills. I'll save money by doing my own horse vaccinations that I can do, but will not hesitate to call the vet and set up an appointment when warranted. Humans can suffer, but understand. Animals cannot.

Last week, a horse at my former barn had to be put down. The barn owner kept finding little things to do every time I said I needed to get going, so I stayed. It was just me, the barn owner and her husband, the vet, and the horse's owner. I did not know the horse's owner very well. So I stayed quiet.

I liked the horse. I have a soft spot for the old 'uns. She was a 37 year-old dark palomino, owned for 4-5 years by the current owner. She was horny for my gelding. She ate mush three times a day. I had groomed her a good handful of times.

I was told I didn't have to watch if I didn't want to. I did watch. I wanted to know. I am too sciencey I guess.

It was rougher than I expected. She did not want to lie down. It took several injections to get the volume in, and she had a weak heartbeat when they started. In the end she gave one good kick behind her and actually went up and over. It took longer and was more violent than I expected. (No, nothing went wrong. ) I am glad that I have seen it; I'll know generally what to expect in the future.

Her owner is likely just ranchy-er than I am. When we thought the 28 was going (gas colic- is fine), before his owner arrived I had him well groomed, shined up, ready to go in style. Besides relieved he was okay, she was appreciative of that.

Nobody said much. There was a quiet "good girl" and that was about it.

If Dante has to be put down (as opposed to croaking out of my sight or living for evarz) , and I'm waiting for the vet to show up, he'll be looking ready to enter the Olympics, and I'll probably praise him the entire time like he just jumped the moon. Might as well finish up that bottle of show sheen, anyways.

Other than that "it's hard", nobody ever talks about putting down a horse, really. I only knew from vet students that they fall.

No comments: