Friday, June 13, 2008

Copper Dollar Ante (Dante)

Fifteen months ago, I was given a horse. A 1995 QH, no papers, 15 hands. Named "Copper" because well, he's copper colored.

He was originally a "therapy horse (?)" for a young mentally challenged girl. They bought him for 2000. I hear tales that she'd canter him all around and he was just a gem. Then I heard that he bucked her off and she never came back to the boarding place to ride him. Her older, 300lb brother would- on a too tight saddle, letting him get away with everything. (He is now sway-backed). They eventually surrendered their horses when defaulted on board. They might have his papers- but won't answer my phone calls. No clue what his registered name would be.

The BO leased him out, she couldn't afford not to. A woman who "knew it all" rode him. The face-yanker managed to pull him over so that he flipped on her. Also heard that she may have beaten him. Still nobody would use the right saddle, and his shoulder swelled up so that a vet had to be called.

The trainer there loved him. Would always find an excuse to work with him instead of the other horses. He always tries, and flourishes under positive reinforcement. He was then unused besides maybe a trail ride or a quick kid's lesson for the next year. He did flip on another woman. The BO was going to give him to someone else who decided not to take him.

Then I get him. I have to board him there for a year, then buy him for a dollar. He steps on me, bowls me over, won't so much as longe above a walk without having a hissy rearing fit. I got a new bridle for him and gave up the first time I tried to get it on him after an hour of trying. Couldn't be tied without rearing. I had been riding for almost a year- lesson horses, an 18 year old pregnant arab, and a 22 year old child's arab. I thought to myself, "OMG I am retarded. Can we say, 'overmounted?" We stuck to groundwork. Mainly Parelli-style, but not terribly strict: some English in there, some general makes-sense work too.

I eventually (after a few MONTHS) get the balls to get on. We ride at a walk. At a trot- it's a breakneck trot with snorting and crazy. Steering is rough- no bend. Our first trail ride on the property (4 months in) we make it about a half hour until he flips out, rodeo broncs me off, and gallops back to the barn. Go helmet. I DID get back on and walk and trot around inside, but was sore in the neck, head, and back for the next week. I think, "OMFG I am retarded."

I have since gained his trust. W-T-C-Woah-Back on a longe is not a challenge. We do not have issues with bridling. He is still cinchy/girthy/OMG saddles eat me, but if I had a 300lb guy on a narrow saddle I'd probably feel the same. Holds his feet perfectly (tries to put it on the hoof stand for the trimmer himself). We are practicing our canter (my bad, not his), and we occasionally do a weenie jump (but he does like to make them bigger). Could tie for hours if I was an asshole. Does a Western jog-trot if I ask- smooth as butter. Horrible headset, but again-ingrained. He'll knock it down if I ask but pops right back up. I have been complimented on his flexibility now. We ride in a halter or bridle, although he prefers the halter. His coat gleams. He follows me around (not like a puppy- I've never had a puppy do anything but run after everything it saw). I can ride him bareback no worries. And after seeing the rearing fit of someone trying to load him, he'll go right in (but only if I go in first).

In short: He's a different horse! I'm very proud of him for trying so hard and a little proud of me, too for not giving up and figuring him out!

No comments: